Thursday, October 16, 2014

"Boy George - Love & Danger"


 Free Fall (Freier Fall) 2013 German with english subtitles  
This is the movie that Brokeback Mountain should have been.
This is a very well made gay film, but what makes it this good are the performances of the two lead actors, Hanno Koffler & Max Riemelt. Koffler, in particular, just oozes so much charisma, I am surprised that he has not been noticed by Hollywood or perhaps he doesn't want to be. But I am being unfair as Riemelt is equally effective. The story is not a complicated one as it simply tells the tale of a man coming out and how it effects his life and those around him. The fact that they are both a part of the police department & one has a pregnant girlfriend does make it a bit more problematic. Very touching, always realistic, well filmed and ultimately sad. I really admired this, but I did not care for the ending primarily because it did not end the way I wanted it to, but also because it would be nice to see a gay film not end on an unhappy note.  I think the ending indicated that the young policeman had now come out and would have to prove he was better than everyone else to continue in his chosen profession.I highly recommend this movie...check it out on netflix. An added bonus was this video by boy george

No comments:

Post a Comment